You don’t need to completely revamp your whole exterior to make your home look attractive from the street. A few simple updates can make vast improvements and certainly assist with the selling process. Here are 5 tips to to a curb appeal makeover.
1. A pressure wash is a great way to clean up the outside of your property. You’ll be amazed at how fresh and renewed this straightforward step will make your home look. If you don’t own a pressure washer, you can rent one from a local hardware store or hire someone to come do it as well. One way to get the same results without all the hassle, is using Windex Outdoor Multi-Surface Cleaner. It easily attaches to any hose, creating a more pressure-filled stream, and helps keep the water spots off the windows as well. No matter how you choose to clean the exterior of your home, be sure to rinse the driveway and sidewalks too, as they tend to have buildup on them.
2. A few potted plants that are visible from the street is a quick way to spruce up the front of your home. Whether fake or real, they are a great addition to any exterior. Make sure to keep them watered if they are real and to rinse with water regularly if you go the fake route. When choosing the best potted plants for you, choose ones that are on the larger side and are effortlessly manageable. You don’t want your investment to be more work than it’s worth. Choose a plant that doesn’t require a lot of maintenance or clean up.
3. Accessories are an inexpensive option that helps add curb appeal. Whether your mailbox is by your front door or out near the road, consider an upgrade. You can create your own or purchase one. Same goes for your house numbers. Get a new font of numbers to add character and charm to your front door. A little goes a long way, so don’t overdo it with numbers that are hard to read or ones that don’t compliment the overall exterior theme.
4. Add seating to your front porch. If you don’t have a porch, add some stylish lawn chairs in the front lawn that are placed neatly and in the shade. A porch swing is the perfect extra for any front area. This allows the possible buyers to picture themselves sitting there, enjoying their new home. Not only is it a selling piece, but it also may help the front of your home appear more useful and not as unoccupied.
5. The final tip on this list is to freshen up the paint. If the pressure washing didn’t exactly brighten the place up like you hoped, it might be time for paint. Any major hardware store or paint store can lead you in the right direction. Certain paints shouldn’t be used in weather or outdoors period, but a professional can assist with picking the one that is right for you. If you aren’t a do-it-yourself type of person, hiring a painter is a great option. Be sure to shop around and get a few quotes before choosing your painter. If you are going with a complete color change, make sure that it is a color that accents your house and is a pleasant, neutral color. You want the buyers to see a fresh coat of paint they enjoy and not an off color that they think they will immediately have to spend money on to fix. If you don’t know what color to go with, your realtor is sure to have an informed opinion on the matter.
Although mostly minor, these tips and tricks are sure to make the curb appeal of your home rise and be more alluring to even the most difficult buyers. A good deal of small tweaks can add up and equal a whole new take on the exterior of your home.