Those of us that are lucky enough to call Grand Junction home already know what an amazing place it is to live, but if you haven't yet made the Grand Valley your home, this post is for you! Our team has complied our top 10 reasons why you should make the move today! Enjoy!
10. We are just over 3 hours in either direction to Denver or Salt Lake City. This not only makes for an easy and beautiful drive, it's also convenient when you fly. Bigger cities typically offer cheaper flights, making it a no-brainer to enjoy the scenery on your way to the airport. It's also convenient when you just need a quick weekend get-away to enjoy the bigger amenities of the city. You'll want to make sure your vehicle is road trip ready at all times!
9. Grand Junction's population boasts only 63,000 people and just over 150,000 in the Grand Valley, giving you that small town feel you crave without sacrificing the amount of activities it offers. That's right, we don't have the crime, congestion, and out of control housing problems found in larger cities. We do, however, have access to all the great things they have to offer, such as concerts, arts, museums, a plethora or outdoor activities (more on that later), and larger learning institutions.
8. Your daily commute will take roughly 10 minutes. 20 at the most. You really can get from one end of the valley to the other in an insanely short amount of time. Promise.
7. Our desert climate is perfect for those of us who loathe long, cold winters. We typically see less than 6 inches of snow from October- April. Our biggest problem in December is deciding what sandals to wear with our parkas!
6. Number 7 ties in perfectly with number 6 which is that we experience over 300 days of sunshine a year. You can kiss those rainy day blues good bye.
5. We are the Napa Valley of Colorado. If you haven't yet enjoyed the ridiculous amounts of wine offered here, you are missing out. We are also the home of Wine Fest, held every September. It is the state’s largest and oldest wine festival featuring dozens of Colorado wineries, live music, a grape stomp, chef demonstrations & seminars.
4. The Grand Mesa is 30 minutes away. Remember when we mentioned outdoor activities? Well, here you go. There are over 300 lakes on the Grand Mesa alone for all you fishing enthusiasts. Want to ski? Powderhorn offers 1,600 acres of mountain terrain, and provides over 250 inches of light powder snow each year! In addition, 70% of their runs are beginner or intermediate, ideal for any family of skiers or snowboarders.
3. You can SUP (stand up paddleboard) on your lunch hour. Be at the water in 10 minutes, and take a float down the river!
2. We are a cycling hot spot. Serious cyclists can test their mettle on two of Colorado’s most difficult alpine climbs, while casual riders spin out the miles on the Colorado Riverfront trail. Explore the vineyards and orchards of East Orchard Mesa and Palisade or the rolling farmlands north toward Fruita. There truly is a trail for everyone.
1. Once you are here, you're stuck. Trust us when we tell you that you won't want to leave. When you look at all the amazing things you can do at any given time, it's virtually impossible to narrow it down to one. Quite frankly, it can give you a headache.